Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Things Aren't Always What They Seem






These are two of my favorites...I love it when pictures come together like this. But what you don't know...what you can't see or hear, is why these cranes are flying in the first place.

I love to travel the back roads up here in Wisconsin. In Houston, I lived 20 miles from the office and it took me an hour to get to work. In Wisconsin, I lived 20 miles from the office and it still took me an hour to get to work because I would be travelling slowly on the back farm roads looking at all of the deer and turkeys and foxes and cranes. I love cranes! There is a word for someone like me..."craniac"

Anyway, I always have my camera on the seat and ready as I scan the fields next to these lonely backroads for wildlife...especially cranes.

On this particular day, I came out of a railroad overpass tunnel. The morning sun was shining against the forest and, right next to me, on the right, were these three beautiful cranes.

I slammed on the brakes, jammed my truck into park, and lept from my truck with my camera ready.

Unfortunately, I did not see the lady jogger coming towards me on the other side of that lonely farm road who apparently misinterpreted my actions as a prelude to an abduction.

She bagan to scream loudly and run in place (why do women run in place when they're scared?), which set the cranes off in flight. I was busy snapping these pictures as I apologized to the lady.

And now you know the story behind the pictures.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the beautiful pictures and of course for the funny story to go with. :) I've been folding lots of paper cranes the last few days for a friend in the hospital. The live ones in flight sure are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete