Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Passing of The Old Guard

Lorelei Sinclair just posted on my wall that David Brackman had passed away. I'm still numb with the news. I called into the other room and told my wife as soon as I read it and she came into the office, her eyes were wet and she said, "It's funny, not an hour ago, I was wondering how Dave and Sue were doing".

David and Sue Brackman are an institution in The Katy Stake. I like to brag that I was the first missionary to leave from that area but, in truth, that is nothing compared to the work that they did. Dave and Sue and Aunt Edna were the only mormons in Katy for a long time. They were faithful members of the church when all of Houston met in the old church off of Broadway. Anytime I hear someone complain about having to travel as much as fifteen minutes to get to church, I want to tell them about The Brackmans and Aunt Edna.

Lorelei told me that David wanted to come back to Katy to die. I know how he felt. When Oliver Loving died on the cattle trail, he told his partner, Charles Goodnight, "Don't bury me in a foreign land" Charles Goodnight brought his partner all the way back to Texas to be laid to rest. Those of us up on our Texas history know where Larry McMurtrey got his ideas from in Lonesome Dove. I don't know when or if I'll ever come back to Texas to live but, like David, I don't want to be laid to rest in a foreign land either. I want to come back to Katy.

Anyone who reads this and knows David and Sue, please tell Sue how much we love her and mourn with her...and please tell her that we were thinking of David and she an hour or two before we got the news. It was strange how the thought of them just came to us out of the blue.

Maybe it's maudlin to suggest but we like to think that, perhaps David stopped in to say 'hi' before he went on.

No comments:

Post a Comment